Girls+ Rock Ottawa presents our second Gig Planning 101 Workshop for Girls+, a six week program where participants will have the opportunity to plan an inclusive all-ages Rock N’ Roll show, meet new friends and learn real-world skills while helping to put Ottawa music on the map!
Ottawa Rock Camp for Girls has been awarded an Ottawa Music Micro-Grant and on March 10, 2017 we will be hosting an inclusive all-ages Rock N’ Roll show at the Taggart Family YMCA-YWCA. The event will feature local youth artists and will be followed by an open, interactive jam session where participants can try out different instruments. With guidance from an experienced musician and event promoter, the participants in this Gig Planning 101 for Girls+ Workshop will help plan, organize and carry out this Rock N’ Roll event!
Participants in this workshop will:
- Book bands and/or performers for the Rock N’ Roll event
- Promote the Rock N’ Roll event by developing and implementing a communications plan
- Coordinate logistics for the Rock N’ Roll event
- Follow a budget and help complete a cost and revenue report
- Complete approximately 11 hours of volunteer service that can be used to satisfy the Ontario Secondary School volunteer requirement (estimate based on full attendance of workshop)
This workshop is open to anyone between 13-19 years old who identifies as a girl or as non-binary.
Dates: February 8, 2017 - March 15, 2017
Times: 5:00 - 6:00 PM
Participants will meet once a week on Wednesdays for five weeks prior to the event and on the week following the event. Each meeting is expected to take one hour.
Instructors: Mandie Norton & Willa MacLean
Location: Weekly meetings will be held at the Sunnyside branch of the Ottawa Public Library, 1049 Bank St, Ottawa, ON